Hollywood Blvd

Hollywood Blvd

Monday, April 18, 2016

An Ode (or Ood) to Food

Annie's Log, 4/18/16

I love food.

I do. It's one of my favorite things. Eating, cooking, smelling. Heck, even just looking at food is enjoyable. I've seen pictures of food that are more attractive than many people I pass on the street.





There's a reason people take pictures of their food to post on social media before they eat. That reason is wanting other people to be envious of how good their impending meal is.

Over the past two, maybe two and a half years, I've become more and more self-sufficient in the kitchen. I'm not going to say that I miss the dining hall at UNC, but there was the convenience plus eating with other people plus a variety of choices plus often being the only option.

The dining hall is no longer an option for me. I slowly phased out of using the dining hall last year as a Senior at UNC. I had a "commuter" meal plan, meaning that I only ate in the dining hall for lunch, or if one of my friends swiped me in (the latter happened quite a bit).

I did breakfast however I could, cooked my own dinners and food on weekends, and enjoyed the occasional meal out (admittedly probably more often than I should have).

I'm now cooking my own meals, packing my own lunches for work, etc. etc. etc.

I can have Taco Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday if I want.

I choose what, when, where, why, and how I eat.

Of course, my foodie independence started out with me making chicken pot pie, baked ziti, and breakfast for dinner on a seemingly-endless rotation, but I've expanded from there.

In an effort to create some variety in my diet, I've started constantly hunting for new recipes. The recent trend of food-videos on Facebook has made that a little easier. Seeing cookbooks all the time at work helps, too.

These are some of the recipes that I've found, tried, and fallen in love with:

One-Pot Spinach and Sausage Tortellini: http://www.everyday-reading.com/2014/04/creamy-sausage-and-spinach-tortellini.html

Chicken Parmesan Soup:  https://www.facebook.com/delish/videos/10153992054322437/?fref=nf

Cajun Chicken Pasta: https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/videos/1645127435739899/

Parmesan Baked Pork Chops: http://www.food.com/recipe/parmesan-baked-pork-chops-516527

Homemade Ramen: http://damndelicious.net/2014/10/13/easy-homemade-ramen/


Of course, I could also add pretty much any soup, pasta, breakfast food, chili, or chowder to this list and I'd be accurately portraying what I like to cook.

I like food.


End Log.


No comments:

Post a Comment